While I’ve used autofocus lenses on several previous cameras, I’ve mostly been happy using my Sony A7RII mirrorless camera with a carefully selected set of prime lenses, all of which are manual focus. They work fine for the great majority of my photography projects, but there are times, particularly when photographing at family events or taking other moving subjects, when I have to concede that having access to auto focus would be a great advantage.
When I saw Techart Pro’s first advertisements for their Leica M to Sony E mount auto-focusing adapter I was immediately interested, particularly given that they also advertised the availability of adapters allowing it to be used with a range of other lens mounts. Initial reports with the first firmware indicated less than ideal performance, with not particularly rapid focus and occasional camera lockups. But then reports on a forum at fredmiranda.com of dramatically improved performance with the newly arrived v. 3 firmware suggested that Techart Pro were beginning to iron out the worst of their teething problems. I decided to put my money down!